By: Sister Jeannine Marie, O.C.D.
“Silence is golden, golden…” The lyrics of the popular song by the Four Seasons may not have had silence or solitude in mind but the small phase is still true. Silence is not just an absence of words, it is a preparation to open one’s heart to listen deep within. Elijah heard a “gentle” breeze. Here are some tips to help you practice silence this Lent.
- Jump in the car, turn OFF the radio, and tune your inner “antenna” to listen and speak to God.
- Find a quiet place, grab you Java, close your eyes, and listen for that gentle breeze within.
- Take a moment in your day to simply stop and take in all of God’s creation in silence –it was made for you!
- Turn OFF the TV, get comfortable, and take in the beauty of silence that surrounds you and listen to Him.
- We are bombarded by sounds all day long. Take a moment to “fast” from sounds and drink in peace.